Common Reasons for House Fires in Montana
1. Cooking Equipment
When a pot and pan splatter grease, it can take seconds to cause a fire. When cooking stay close by, especially if using oil or high temperatures. Keep combustibles away from the heat source (e.g. oven mitts, dish towels, paper towels).
2. Electrical Equipment
- Make sure your outlets aren't overloaded
- Don't have electrical wires under heavy equipment
- Your Electrical appliances don't have loose or frayed cords/plugs
Keep candles on a level surface, away from combustible materials and out of reach of children or pets. Always blow them out before leaving the house.
Use Barbecues away from the house, deck rails, and tree limbs. Maintenance them on a regular basis, clean removable parts (inside and out) with soapy water. Check for potential leaks in the connections by spraying them with soapy water; Watch if bubbles form when you open the gas.
5. Fire Pits
- You may need a permit depending on where you live to have a fire.
- You have to have a permit if your fire is bigger than 2 ft tall and 3 ft diameter.
- Keep at least 25 ft away from structures and tree limbs.
- Use a screen over your fire to keep the sparks from flying
- Keep a bucket of water or a hose close by.