How Quickly Does Water Damage Create Mold?
SERVPRO Technicians Mitigate Water Damage to Helena Properties with Commercial-Grade Tools
Home water damage in Helena or any other locale is frustrating to deal with, particularly during the summer months. Warmer weather and higher humidity levels bring an increased risk of microbial growth without fast mitigation.
If your Helena residence requires water damage mitigation services, SERVPRO technicians are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to restore your property to a preloss condition. This team undergoes extensive training and certification per Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) standards to ensure that they can meet the industry benchmarks for clean and safe home restoration.
How Do I Detect Interior Pipe Leaks and What Can I Do to Repair Them?
If you are concerned about a potential leak in your home from faulty or damaged plumbing, turn off all appliances in your home that use water. Check your water meter and write down the number you find on it, and repeat this step at least three hours later. Does the number continue to increase? If so, a leak somewhere in your plumbing is likely. However, this detection method does not work as well if you have a constantly dripping faucet or running toilet.
Dealing with Interior Leaks
If your interior plumbing is damaged, it may be time to call in a professional to handle the job.
What can a licensed pro do?
- Safely perform the demolition necessary to access the pipe and structural elements that may have been affected by water damage.
- Licensed techs can remove damaged plumbing and replace it with functional parts.
- Restoration professionals can detect moisture damage and leaks with sophisticated tools and then perform water extraction and structural drying services
- Perform any necessary patching, sanding, priming, and painting necessary to repair damaged drywall and return your home to a pre-leak state.
Certain materials require extra care, including tile, brick, and plaster. SERVPRO has access to reputable subcontractors who can render professional rebuilding services after a disaster.
How Does Water Damage Give Way to Microbial Growth?
While many homeowners in Helena may think that microbes and mold are only a problem for large-scale water damage, this is untrue. Any kind of water damage, at any scale, can create an environment that allows mold to thrive. Microbes can grow in as little as 24 to 48 hours after the initial disaster, meaning fast action is a must for keeping your home clean and safe.
What Are the Properties of Mold?
Mold grows by eating organic materials and reproduces by releasing spores into the air that cling to nearby surfaces. In nature, this is highly useful. Mold digests plant debris and allows for new growth to occur.
Many different types of mold thrive on an equally diverse array of surfaces, however. As long as your property is appropriately warm, humid, and full of organic materials such as wood, paper, and plant-based fibers, mold can quickly spread.
How Do I Prevent Microbial Growth in My Home?
- Keep an eye out for water leaks in your home and prevent them as quickly as possible. Clean up spills immediately after they occur.
- Keep attics and crawl spaces insulated and ventilated to minimize the risk of mold growth in a water damage situation.
- Move furniture at least a few inches away from walls to improve air circulation in hard-to-reach areas.
- Always use exhaust fans in high-moisture areas, such as laundry rooms, kitchens, and bathrooms.
- Ensure there is enough airflow and ventilation in your home, especially if water damage is detected on the property.
While these measures can, in many cases, prevent microbial growth in your home, SERVPRO highly recommends contacting a specialist for your water damage mitigation needs to optimize safety through fast action rendered by trained professionals.
What Does SERVPRO Use to Remediate Bacterial and Microbial Proliferation?
- Access to over 100 proprietary cleaning solutions that remediate microbial growth as well as staining and odors from water damage.
- A variety of delivery methods for sanitation products, including sponges, mops, sprayers, squeegees, and foggers.
- SERVPRO education, certifications, personal protection equipment (PPE), and containment techniques to remove microbial growth while preventing its spread through your property.
- Structural drying equipment such as air movers and dehumidifiers inhibit microbial growth quickly when implemented after the use of water extraction tools.
- Odor Control Technicians (OCTs) can use commercial-grade deodorizers, including EPA-registered antimicrobials and ultra-low volume (ULV) fogging systems, to eliminate water damage odors.
- Powerful box fans circulate air as much as 3,200 cubic feet per minute to improve indoor air quality before and after odor control measures are implemented.
SERVPRO of Helena / Great Falls can ensure that your home looks, “Like it never even happened.” Call (406) 458-6008 for rapid-response mitigation that is available 24/7.